Pete's original writings from the Heart of the World, plus fly-tying

Wednesday, February 24

Fly-tying: Finn Raccoon

I'd heard of Finn raccoon. Discovering Simon Graham's blog "Pike Fly Fishing Articles" showed me what you can do with it. Wow! Fly fishing for pike opens the door to a style of tying that is at once graceful and wild. I'd heard of Eumer tubes. Again, Simon's blog showed me Eumer in action. Simon's site is far-ranging and inspirational- worth a visit and a bookmark! I'd written to Simon with a question and in short order was tying with Eumer's Finn Raccoon.

My first raccoon fly might have become a Ray's Fly (white under yellow under olive under peacock herl with flash interspersed), but I've always had a fondness for adding lavender and/or violet. So I guess this makes it a variation of the Magog Smelt or maybe Silver Outcast, except for the glowing tarpon-style nose. No, I don't remember what I was thinking.


So, here's a "Rudolph", tied with flourescent red thread on an inline, wide-gap circle hook (Eagle Claw 7228), beginning just above the bend: white Finn Raccoon, over which is sparse pearl Angel Hair, over which is yellow Finn Raccoon, over which is sparse pearl Angel Hair, over which is lavender Finn Raccoon, over which is olive Finn Raccoon, finished with a tarpon-style nose with the red thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment